David’s Five Guarantees for a Healthier Life
By lakecountry95787363, Dec 7 2015 09:57PM
There are so many things we can do to keep ourselves healthy both inside and out! Acupuncture is a tool we use to make sure that the body is in balance and functioning smoothly. However, we can’t get treatment all the time. It is very important that we continue the balancing act outside of the treatment room. I wanted to give everybody 5 top tips for staying as well as they possibly can as this year comes to a close, so that we all have a jump on the New Year being as healthy as possible. So here we go!
1. KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON! A great statement if there ever was one! Easier said than done though, right?! How very important this is! There is by all accounts a true story of a 250 year old man from Sichuan, China. Apparently he lived from 1678 to 1927. It is all well documented in China, in fact there is a book about his life and teachings. His name was Li Qing Yu. Look him up! Regardless of how long he lived the wisdom he imparts is vital for all of us to live long, happy lives. He was a Taoist hermit and spent the majority of his life collecting herbs in the rural mountain expanses of China and Tibet. He had much wisdom to impart. One such piece was called Qing Jing Wu Wei. This means clarity, tranquility and non-action. He claimed this was one vital part of his ability to live for so long. The very best way to find this in our hearts and minds is to take time every day to be still. To breathe. To just be. It sounds simple but give it a try. It can be a lot harder than it sounds. Regardless of that, anything worth doing requires time and effort. The irony here is how difficult it can be to relinquish effort and just be. Every day find 10-20 minutes to slow your mind down. Sit or stand upright and just focus on the breath. That’s it. If thoughts come in, recognize them and let them go. Bring your mind back to the breath. Keep your eyes closed and relax.
We all tend to live such fast paced exhaustive lives that by taking a moment to still our minds and just breathe we can do so very much to recharge ourselves. Simply by stopping and relaxing. That is all. There is truly a lot to be gained by just stopping and letting go for a brief moment every day. You WILL feel more clarity and your stress levels will drop dramatically. I guarantee it!
2. STAY HYDRATED! This is super important and can’t be overestimated. We tend to forget this when the weather turns cold and we sweat less, but we still need vital water to keep on going. As every car needs oil to run, every human body needs water to function. However, don’t just turn on the tap and drink what comes out. Municipal tap water can be full of toxic chemicals like chlorine and fluoride. There is tons of research that labels these as very harmful substances when ingested. It is just better to avoid them. Well water can be contaminated too. Also, do remember that what the FDA says is ok, isn’t always the case. They have a standard “yes”, but that standard is right around a C-, just passing! If we are alive we don’t want to just live we want to thrive, right? I recommend 2 sources of water. Spring water is great, but there can be no guarantees of the source there either. Unfortunately our world is toxic all over. Some spring water is great, some not so much. Know your source and do some research if you drink spring water. The best way to consume water is through reverse osmosis. Reverse osmosis cleans our water source very well but can deplete it of trace minerals and natural elements that our bodies need like potassium and sodium. A great way to replace these is by taking half a teaspoon of Himalayan sea salt and add it to a gallon of reverse osmotic water. This will replenish the loss of vital nutrients as the Himalayan salt contains a large majority of trace minerals, sodium and potassium to name just a few. Every human being should be drinking half of their bodyweight in ounces of water a day. This sounds like a lot, but this is what it takes to stay fully hydrated. Try it, and within a few days you will feel like a new person. I guarantee it!
3. NOURISH YOUR BODY! This is a broad, far-reaching category but let’s touch on the essentials. Most informed people know you need five portions of fruit and vegetables a day give your body what it needs to stay healthy. This is the bare minimum. You can’t eat too many vegetables! So feel free to eat as many as you like. Fruit is great too, but contains much more sugar so eat less than you would veggies. Some people have a dislike of the taste of veggies and fruits. Fair enough. That can happen when your diet hasn’t been the best for many years. There is a solution to this. Find a high quality whole food fruit and veggie meal replacement powder. We at Lake Country Acupuncture would be happy to suggest the ones we know are great. This can help take a lot of the effort out of eating your five a day. In today’s fast paced world supplementation has almost become necessary. Nowadays the soil is so depleted and buying organic can get costly, so supplementing is advisable. However, don’t just buy any brand of multivitamin. Contact us. We always carry nothing but the best at our clinic and would be happy to help you find the right one for you. There are so many out there and the choice can be overwhelming. Let us know. We are here to help. Nourishing your body can be fun and easy, it doesn’t have to be a chore. Once you start getting vital nutrients in you will feel like a new person. I guarantee it!
4. KEEP MOVING! This is very important. If you don’t use it, you lose it! So true. The best kind of movement is slow and smooth. Walking, jogging, biking, swimming, tai chi etc. All of these are great. The hardest part about staying active is starting to be active. An object in motion tends to stay in motion. Start slow. Take a five minute walk around the office or around your block. Increase this to 10 minutes after a week and so on and so forth until you are jogging around the block. I don’t however recommend jogging around the office! Once you get into a routine of moving you will carry that habit along. That first step is the hardest but once you take it, the rest of the way is smooth sailing. Just by moving, you will add years to your life. It doesn’t have to be aggressive movement. Just move. Build up to more aggressive intense workouts if you want, but you don’t have to. Breaking a light sweat is more than enough to keep all of your vital organs in good functioning order. If you take 20-30mins a day to move you will feel happy and vital. I guarantee it!
5. GET ENOUGH REST! Always a priority for good health. I have a lot of patients who have a hard time sleeping. This is almost always down to the fact that their lives are so stressful and fast paced that they can’t shut their minds off, or they have depleted their adrenal and other balancing endocrine systems to a point that their bodies are not regulating their sleep cycles anymore. This can be helped! Acupuncture and different herbal supplements can correct this issue indeed, but there are also plenty of things one can do away from the clinic to get better rest. I would ask anyone who is having trouble sleeping to refer to the above four guaranteed tips to get better sleep. If you follow the guidelines above it should dramatically help your sleep cycles. There are also other fine points you can pay attention. Avoid refined processed foods. These foods, if you can call them, that contain a lot of different chemicals and preservatives that can really disrupt your sleep patterns and numerous other functions in your system. Buy and eat organically when and where possible. Get some fresh air and sun light. If you are cooped up inside bent over a computer desk trying to meet a deadline, no wonder you aren’t sleeping. Getting 10-20 minutes of fresh air and sunlight a day will greatly regulate your sleep cycle. When you go to bed, go to bed! Don’t read, don’t watch television, and don’t play on your phone. Sleep! Make sure your bedroom is nice and dark and there are no distractions. Focus on your breathing, relax your mind and shut your mind down. The best healing happens when you get good sleep. If you follow these steps, apply certain kinds of herbal and nutritional supplementation combined with acupuncture treatment, you WILL sleep better. I guarantee it!
Call us today
Monday through Thursday
10:00 AM - 8:00 PM
By Appointment Only